Sunday, August 15, 2010

These are the days...

It has just been an amazingly wonderful weekend - one of those weekends that just makes you so thankful for having an awesome little family!

I know that it has only been a few weeks, but can I go ahead and say that I'm loving "the twos"? You always hear about the "terrible twos" (even though most people I know are quick to say that the threes are much worse than twos) - but I must say that I'm loving this season of Luke!

Sometimes I think I really, really underestimate what an AWESOME little boy we have! He's just so easy! He wakes up every morning typically sometime between 6:30 and 7:30. When he wakes up, he just sits in his bed and waits for one of us to come in and get him. He doesn't cry - he just sits in there and patiently sucks his thumb. He eats well and is willing to try new foods. He is a breeze to put down at naptime and sleeps for a solid 3 hours. Occasionally 4. He follows instructions. He loves books and likes to spend quality time cuddling with mom and dad. He goes to bed around 7:30 every night. Before I exit his bedroom, he always tells me "bye bye mommy" and "I lah you" (I love you). Perfection in a toddler!

(ps - don't think I'm too delusional or anything... the kid surely knows how to whine and follow me around endlessly saying "mommy up! mommy up! mommy up!" when wanting to be picked up. I'm just having a moment of appreciating all the good things!!)



So, this weekend we didn't do anything to spectacular - just tried to stay cool in the sweltering heat. We made lots of delicious food - fresh purple-eye peas and corn from the farmer's market, banana nut bread, fried catfish - yummy stuff!

I was just able to sit back a few times and think about how lucky I am. I truly think that "these are the days" that I'll often look back on as the best of my life!

Luke is cracking us up daily... ok, hourly!

He is totally in that stage where he repeats everything that we say! Two of my favorites are "wah-nah-mah-nah" (watermelon) and "viney-tums" (vitamins). He is also into saying "sure" rather than "yes" which is pretty funny. And speaking of funny, after he laughs at something, he likes to say "funny!". I think maybe I do that a lot.

Luke is totally obsessed with cars, trucks, and trains. He get SO absorbed in them when he plays! I love watching him from afar as he drives his cars on the ottoman... then the couch... then the floor... then he'll stack two cars on top of one another and drive the double decker around for awhile. The kid gets engrossed.

I guess that's about all. Nothing major going on... just enjoying the subtleties of vocabulary development with Luke and looking forward fall and football season being right around the corner!

4 comments:

  1. Good times. Good picture. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right...these are the good ole' days and days that we shouldn't take for granted because (from what I hear from EVERYONE) they are gone in the blink of an eye.

    I do think you have an unusually calm little two year old! Jack's only 1 and the cuddle time is few and far between...tear. But, wait, in 8 weeks I'll have some one new to cuddle. Maybe this little guy will be a little more of a cuddler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous read here. And so true too. I remember too loving when you kids were two, thinking the exact same thing, exact, that you have written here. Sometimes I wish that I could go back to those very simple yet wonderful days to do it again, and spend just a little time with my three wonderfully smart and fun children. Great read here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with kim - luke is unusually calm and cuddly (is that a word?)! i asked ronin for a kiss last night when he was going to bed, and i got a "No mama!!!" as he starts laughing and puts his hand on my face and pushes it AWAY!!! and when he says he wants a hug, he really just wants to get a better grip on me so he can start walking himself up my legs for a better (higher) view of wherever we are... seriously!

    ReplyDelete